X+O: Nudie Jeans Repair Store at Little Collins Street Melbourne is 31sqm store, designed as a physical manifestation of the brand. Sustainability is at the core of the brand and to reflect this, repurposed elements, sustainable finishes and a sewing machine is built into the shopfront offering customers forever repairs. We achieved excellence by creating a physical manifestation of Nudie Jeans brand values, which revolves around sustainability and the ability to reduce environmental impact. By re-imaging a typical ‘retail store’ into a ‘repair store’, the focus revolved around placement of the repair station (sewing machine) front and centre - into the shop front. Repairs divert valuable clothes from landfill and creates relationships with customers.
Specifying responsibly was key driver, achieved through;
a. DesignerPly Hoop Pine (Forest One) on all shelving and fitting rooms. A local species of timber native to Australia, its' low carbon, has FSC certification and the chain of custody is passed on
b. Winckelmans tiles are fully vitrified unglazed fine tiles used in high traffic areas including sewing machine table, counter, base of cupboards. The tiles are that are made of natural materials (mainly clay) and are low porosity, and colour through. The tile durability reduces the need for replacement.
c. Valchromat board is used in the shelving and cash desk. A natural material, colour through board, low toxicity and low emissions
d. Repurposing the exisiting brick walls, shopfront and lighting tracks reduced waste and landfill
e. Plant walls to improve indoor air quality and staff wellbeing
Key products used:
1. DesignerPly Hoop Pine (Forest One). A local species of timber native to Australia, its' low carbon, has FSC certification and the chain of custody is passed on
2. Winckelemns Black tiles are durable and are colour through and used in high traffic areas such as the sewing machine table, counter and base of cupboards. This defies the world of obsolescence.
3. Valchromat, by Modinex Group- natural material, colour goes through. Low toxicity and low emissions.
4. Kalahari Rug by Armadillo- natural materials and handmade by artisans, B corp certified
to reflect the brand ethos of Nudie Jeans.
5. Repurposing the exisiting brick walls, shopfront and lighting tracks which reduced waste and landfill.
6. Plant walls were incorporated to improve indoor air quality and staff wellbeing
7. Energy efficient lighting on repurposed light tracks
8. Repurposed shopfront and showcasing of original architecture, by exposing bricks and not over using additional materials by lining the wall
What was the brief?
The clients brief was to communicate their brand values, increase product capacity in a small store and improve the customer experience.